FIFA: What's really going on inside the world of football?
Willie Grace | 12/18/2014, 4:40 p.m. | Updated on 12/18/2014, 4:40 p.m.
(CNN) -- It's the story that keeps on giving.
Just what happened on December 2, 2010 when football's world governing body FIFA decided to award the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar?
It's a decision that has subsequently forced FIFA to fight wave after wave of corruption allegations over the bidding process.
The world governing body had hoped a key report to investigate these corruption claims would end the speculation and allow it to get on with the job of running the biggest football show on earth.
Fat chance -- football fans, sponsors, politicians and celebrities are demanding that FIFA publish the report into the alleged wrongdoing surrounding the bidding process for those two tournaments. But will FIFA listen as it meets in Marrakech, Morocco?
Here's our guide on what to expect over the next couple of days.
Why is this important?
It's the meeting everyone has been waiting for -- the moment FIFA could finally decide to publish the report into the alleged wrongdoing during the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
FIFA has always maintained that it could not publish the full report, compiled by independent investigator Michael Garcia, because it would break witness confidentiality.
But it turns out that not everybody thinks that's the case.
In fact, one member of the executive committee, Theo Zwanziger, reckons the report can be published with a series of redactions and will propose such a measure on Friday.
He already has backing from a number of committee members including Michel Platini, the president of European football's governing body UEFA, and Sunil Gulati, the head of U.S. Soccer.
Several leading figures such as vice-president Jim Boyce, who told British Newspaper The Times that FIFA must take this "massive" opportunity to restore the public's trust in the organization.
The report has created tensions within the football world ever since Garcia said it should be published last September.
FIFA didn't like that at all; his request was rejected and it came close to disciplining the New York lawyer for speaking out, according to Garcia.
Instead, last month, Hans-Joachim Eckert, a FIFA judge, published a 42-page summary of the report -- only for Garcia to respond immediately by claiming the German's publication contained "numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations."
Eckert's summary cleared Russia and Qatar of any wrongdoing.
When Garcia appealed against Eckert's findings he was told his complaint was inadmissible. That was a decision which prompted the U.S. attorney to quit his role and launch a fierce attack on FIFA, accusing it of a "lack of leadership."
Aside from the politics, the World Cup is big business. According to Forbes, FIFA made $2 billion off the back of the 2014 tournament in Brazil. Not bad for a not-for-profit organization.
Who is Michael Garcia?
Garcia was the man chosen by FIFA to head up the investigation into alleged corruption during the World Cup bidding process.
He worked as the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York between 2005 and 2008 on some of the highest profile cases in the city.