2014 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo™ Uncorks Another Set Of Wine Winners — Nov. 13, 201
Style Magazine Newswire | 11/14/2013, 12:07 p.m. | Updated on 11/14/2013, 12:07 p.m.
Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo™ officials announced today the champion wines from the 2014 Rodeo Uncorked!® International Wine Competition, held Nov. 9 – 10, 2013, at Reliant Center.
The 2014 International Wine Competition judging boasted 2,505 entries, including wines from 40 Texas wineries and 16 different countries. Medals were awarded to 2,212 wines by 20 panels of judges, consisting of wine experts, collectors and knowledgeable consumers.
The 2014 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition Champions are:
- Grand Champion Best of Show – Marchesi Antinori Guado al Tasso, Bolgheri DOC Superiore, 2009
- Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show – Sonoma-Cutrer Vineyards Estate Bottled Pinot Noir, Russian River
- Valley, 2010
- Top Texas Wine – Bending Branch Winery Estate Tannat, Texas Hill Country, 2011
- Top Country Wine (Chile) – La Playa Vineyards Axel Cabernet Sauvignon, Colchagua Valley, 2011
- Top All-Around Winery – Michael~David Winery
- Top Wine Company – Trinchero Family Estates
- Top Sparkling Wine – Sophora Sparkling Rosé, New Zealand, NV
- Top White Wine – Sheldrake Point Riesling, Finger Lakes, 2011
- Top Red Wine – Fess Parker Winery The Big Easy, Santa Barbara County, California, 2011
- Top Sweet Wine – Sheldrake Point Riesling Ice Wine, Finger Lakes, 2010
- Top Value Wine – Vigilance Red Blend “Cimarron,” Red Hills, Lake County, California, 2011
Champions will be awarded buckles, chaps and saddles at the Rodeo Uncorked! Roundup and Best Bites Competition Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014. In addition to the champion wines, the Best Bites competition features offerings from select Houston-area restaurants and caterers vying to earn attendees’ votes in the Best Bites Competition. The top restaurant awards will be presented that evening, as well.
All champion wines will be auctioned at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Auction and Dinner on Sunday, March 2, 2014.
Guests of the 2014 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo also can enjoy a selection of award-winning wines by the taste, glass or bottle at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Garden, located in Carruth Plaza. For more information on tickets and events in the Champion Wine Garden, visit rodeohouston.com.
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is a Section 501(c)(3) charity that benefits youth, supports education, and facilitates better agricultural practices through exhibitions and presentation. Since its beginning in 1932, the Show has committed more than $350 million to the youth of Texas. The 2014 Show runs March 4 – 23. For tickets and more
information, visit rodeohouston.com.